Skip to Content
Close Icon


Home Modification

Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a collection of commonly asked questions received by the National Resource Center for Supportive Housing and Home Modifications. We hope these responses are helpful to you. These questions are divided into topic categories for your convenience. Pick the topic you are interested in to find relevant questions and answers. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please send your question to [email protected]. We will research your question for you and provide a response within two weeks.  

Q. Where can I find architects or design firms that can provide universal house designs?

The Center for Universal Design has a design department that provides several services that include conducting architectural and product evaluations. For more information, contact the Center via email at [email protected] or visit the center's website at

The American Institute of Architects offers services to both professionals and consumers who are looking for architects. To find an architect in your local area, visit their website at and click on AIAAccess.

Access Housing Corporation specializes in universal design and construction that can customize your home according to your needs. For more information, visit their website at or contact them at 215-663-5803 P.O. Box 236 Cheltenham, PA 19012

Q. Can you recommend contractors who will give an estimate on home modifications?

There is a National Directory of Home Modifications and Repair Programs in the on-line library at It contains information on qualified contractors/ remodelers
In Florida, there is a company called PRIME, Inc. (Professional Resources In Management Education), an international healthcare educational corporation, which has a Continuing Education Certificate Program in Environmental Access for Contractors. They would have a network of their certified contractors. They may be reached at [email protected].

Many local Housing and Community Development Departments and Area Agencies on Aging have lists of certified contractors or have a home modification and repair program.

The National Association of Home Builders has a section on their website that helps consumers find the suitable remodeler. The section includes information on the entire process of remodeling, including important decisions consumers should make before remodeling, how to find a remodeler, how to live with the newly remodeled home, and finally a link to a list of remodelers in your neighborhood. To visit the section, go to

Q. Can you provide information regarding opportunities and profits for builders/ remodelers who perform home modifications for older adults and people with physical impairments?

The National Association of HomeBuilders (NAHB) has Senior Housing Council offices in local areas. To contact your local office, visit NAHB website at

The local Area Agency on Aging also might have a Housing Division that could offer information.

Aa Aa Aa